Pandan ice cream is definitely a favourite of mine! If you are yet to try it, you will be pleasantly surprised by the delicate, almost vanilla like flavor and aroma pandanus leaves impart on this delectable ice cream. If you tolerate dairy you can substitute the coconut milk and cream for dairy. Enjoy!
- Coconut Milk - 700 ml (organic)
- Coconut Cream - 300 ml (organic)
- Xylitol - 2/3 cup
- Egg Yolks - 2 (free range, organic, biodynamic)
- Pandanus Leaf - 4 leaves (or can use 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of Pandan extract)
- Beat egg yolks.
- Add 1/3 cup xylitol to the eggs and beat until light coloured.
- In a pan mix coconut milk, coconut cream, pandanus leaves and 1/3 cup of xylitol, gently bring to the boil and then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add 300 ml of the cooled milk mixture to the egg mix and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the remainder of the milk mixture and continue to beat for 2 minutes.
- Return the mix to the pan and gently bring to a simmer, until the mix starts to thicken slightly, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When fully cooled, remove the pandanus leaves and add the mix to an ice-cream machine until desired consistency.
- If you don’t have an ice- cream machine put the mix into a plastic container in the freezer until a slushy consistency then mix with a fork to break up any ice crystals, repeat process 3-4 times.
- As this ice cream is preservative free it is best when freshest.
- Pandanus leaves are traditionally used to relief digestive upsets, calming an upset stomach.