Pasta addicts can rejoice..... All you need is a 'spirooli', better known as a spiraliser, and you will be whipping up low carb, gluten free, vegetable pastas! I taste tested this with friends and family and they all loved it and were ready to buy spirooli's of their own! The light zesty flavor of the lemon is a match made in heaven for the basil pesto and is complemented beautifully with the sweet semi-dried tomatoes. This is a perfect light pasta for anyone needing to eat gluten free and low carb.
- Zucchini - 2
- Chicken Breast - 2, diced (organic, biodynamic, free-range)
- Chicken Stock - 1 litres (organic, home made)
- Basil - 1 bunch
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/4 cup (organic, biodynamic, cold pressed)
- Pine Nuts - 1/2 cup (organic)
- Lemon Zest - 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice - 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Garlic - 1 head (Australian, organic, biodynamic)
- Semi-Dried Tomatoes - 1/4 cup, chopped (organic)
- Goat's Cheese - 150 g (organic, biodynamic, chevre)
- Use a 'spirooli' or spiral slicer to make your 'zucchetti'. This should only take a minute!
- Place a little additional olive oil over the whole head of garlic and place into a hot oven for 10 minutes. Remove and squeeze out the caramelized garlic.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken in a saucepan and simmer until well cooked and stringy. This should take around 15 minutes. Remove and drain the chicken.
- Place the basil, olive oil, pine nuts, roasted garlic, lemon zest and juice into a food processor and mix until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the pesto into a bowl and stir in the chopped semi-dried tomatoes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, add the zucchetti and pan fry for a few minutes until just softened (you can actually have this raw, however the texture is just like pasta if you cook it a little). Add in the shredded poached chicken to warm through.
- To serve place the chicken and zucchetti into a bowl, top with pesto and then finish with a sprinkling of goat's cheese.
- The 'pasta' in this can easily be made with carrots, sweet potato, parsnips and many other vegetables.
- These veggie pastas are great to increase the vegetable intake for both yourself and kids (if you have them)!
- Basil, like most herbs is rich in essential oils. Basil is great for clearing intestinal parasites and also has beneficial effects on cholesterol levels.