Often the best way to increase your vegetable intake is to hide them (and this will make sure your kid’s eat them too). This lasagne packs a flavour punch and is a great low carb dinner option for those of you watching your waist lines. To make the recipe dairy free, simply leave out the cheeses.
- Beef mince - 500 grams (premium, organic, biodynamic, grass-fed)
- Roma tomatoes - 4 x diced
- Brown onion - 1 x finely chopped
- Mushrooms - 12 x button (can use field if you like)
- Capsicum - 2 x red cut into long slices
- Eggplant - 1 x sliced into rounds & salted (this will remove the bitter taste, wash off the salt prior to use)
- zucchini - 2 x sliced lengthways
- Baby spinach - 150 grams (washed)
- Garlic - 2 x cloves diced
- Smoked paprika - 1 teaspoon
- Sage - 1/2 teaspoon
- Basil - 1 tablespoon finely chopped (fresh)
- Ricotta - 250 grams (organic, biodynamic, low fat)
- Parmesan cheese - 100 grams grated
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 tablespoons (organic, biodynamic, cold pressed, pesticide free)
Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and garlic over a medium-high heat until golden. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the beef mince and cook until browned. Add the tomato, button mushrooms, basil, sage and paprika, simmer until the tomato is cooked down. Set aside.
- Using a grill pan or BBQ over a high heat cook the sliced eggplant, capsicum and zucchini. They should have 'grill' lines when cooked. When the capsicum has been cooked and cooled, peel off as much skin as possible.
- To assemble use a lasagne or ceramic baking dish. Layer the base with baby spinach, then add a layer of the mince mix, cover this with some ricotta. This is followed by a layer of eggplant and zucchini, again add another layer of the mince mix and ricotta. Add another layer of baby spinach and then the red capsicum. Top this with the final layer of mince mix and ricotta, then top with parmesan. Place into the oven for 30 - 40 minutes to heat through. Serve with fresh basil.
- This is a great low carbohydrate & high protein dinner or lunch option that you can eat as part of a weight management strategy.
- This recipe hides 7 different vegetables, so is a great way to sneak them into kid's diets!!!
- You can add or remove any vegetables that you don't like or want to include.