Do want something a little more interesting to take to your next picnic or brunch? These little frittatas are a little perfect mouthful! The classic combination of smoked salmon and crème fraîche tastes indulgent, however it is a great low carb start to a weekend get together (perhaps with a little bubbly to go with it)!
- Eggs - 6 (free range, organic, biodynamic)
- Red Onion - 1/2, finely diced
- Zucchini - 1, grated
- Smoked Salmon - 100 g, chopped (plus 50 g to serve)
- Crème Fraîche - 1/2 cup (organic), (plus extra to serve)
- Butter - 20 g (organic, biodynamic), (extra to grease tins)
- White Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon, ground
- Smoked Paprika - 1/2 teaspoon
- Dill - 1/2 bunch
- Chives - 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees. Using a muffin tray (24 total), use a little butter to grease.
- In a fry pan, melt the butter then add in the red onion and zucchini. Gently fry until cooked through and the red onion is transparent. Remove from heat.
- Using a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add in the crème fraîche, whisk until well combined. Add in the salmon, chives, white pepper, smoked paprika, cooked zucchini and onion. Add salt to suit your tastes (I didn't add any salt).
- Spoon an even quantity of the mix into the muffin tins. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a baking rack.
- Slice ribbons of smoked salmon about 1.5 cm thick. Roll each into a floret.
- To serve top each frittata with a spoon of crème fraîche, a roll of smoked salmon and a sprig of dill.
- Salmon is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and support brain and cardiovascular health.
- As this recipe is low carb, you can have these as a great low carb breakkie or snack.
- Chives are a great source of vitamins A, C and K as well as sulphur (similar to garlic).